Dr. Sravani Behara
Dr. Sravani Behara
AboutDr.Sravani Behara, is Specialist Psychiatrist and Medical Director at LifeWorks Holistic Counselling Centre. She is experienced in managing mental health conditions across all age groups in both OP, IP settings using various pharmacological and psychological approaches. She has also worked as an Asst. Professor in a 650 bedded tertiary care teaching hospital (Nimra Institute of Medical Sciences, India) for more than three years and one year in a Government Medical College (Siddhartha Medical college, India). He has extensive experience in handling child guidance, geriatric, de-addiction, general adult clinics.
Areas of expertise include:
- Anxiety disorders (Generalised anxiety, panic disorder)
- Phobias (social and specific phobias)
- Obsessive and compulsive disorders
- Puerperal disorders (postpartum blues, postpartum depression)
- Affective disorders (depression, BPAD, mania)
- Psychosis (schizophrenia and acute psychotic conditions)
- Stress related disorders(PTSD)
- Substance abuse disorders (alcohol, tobacco, cannabis)
- Eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia nervosa)
- Personality disorders (schizoid, borderline)
- Child psychiatry (ADHD, Autistic spectrum and bedwetting)
- Conversion disorders
- MBBS, MD (Psychiatry)
- DHA licensed
- Who is a psychiatrist? Psychiatry is the branch of medicine that is concerned with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental, emotional and behavioral disorders. A psychiatrist is a physician who specializes in mental health, including substance and other addictions.
- When should I see a psychiatrist? You should see a psychiatrist suffering from:
- Finding it hard to cope with the death of a loved one. - Tension and anxiety and depression - Phobias and Worthlessness - Family and Relationship Problems - Performance enhancement and Lack of concentration - Chronic sadness and Guilt - Irritability and Fatigue
- What are the major diseases that psychiatrists treat? Psychiatrist treat disorders like anxiety disorders, depressive disorders, obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, trauma- and stressor-related disorder, sexual dysfunctions and gender dysphoria, substance-related and addictive disorders, and schizophrenia.
- Difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist? Psychologists focus on psychotherapy and treating emotional and mental suffering with behavioral intervention. Psychologists are also qualified to conduct psychological testing but in most cases, cannot prescribe medications to their patients.
- What happens in your first appointment with a psychiatrist? The first appointment with a psychiatrist is usually one hour long. During your meeting, your psychiatrist listens to you talk about your concerns and symptoms, asks questions about your general health, asks about your family history, takes your blood pressure and do a basic physical check-up and might asks you to fill out a questionnaire.